This recipe is a potluck go to. The recipe is easy and it makes a large batch so it’s great for feeding a crowd. I used peanut butter in this recipe but you can use almond butter or sunflower seed butter for a slightly different taste. The only recommendation I make: please don’t substitute the red pepper with green pepper – the red pepper gives the salad a sweetness that is just right!
A quarter of a cup of uncooked quinoa contains approximately 6 grams of protein – making this whole batch clock in at 24 grams. I recommend my clients aim for 25-30 grams of protein at a meal so you will have to add an additional protein source to this recipe (both chicken and chickpeas work great).
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 14 ounce bag of coleslaw
- 1/4 cup green onion, diced
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter (or other nut/seed butter of your choosing)
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Rinse and cook quinoa as per directions on the package.
- Combine red pepper, red onion, green onion, coleslaw and cashews in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add cooked quinoa to the bowl with vegetables.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl or small blender cup and whisk or blend until well mixed.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix thoroughly.
- Refrigerate and enjoy salad chilled.
- Feel free to change up the nut butter and nuts in this recipe for a slightly different twist of flavours.