This casserole is SO good, SO quick and really budget friendly! I have been whipping this up the last couple of weeks for a quick meal that can be ready at a moments notice (very key with two babies around).
This one is definitely a crowd pleaser, I recommend giving it a try this week for quick, grab and go lunches!
P.S. Excuse the food photography – My excuse = twins.
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked sweet paprika or ½ tsp regular paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper, plus more as needed
- 1¼ tsp fine-grain sea salt
- 1½ tsp avocado oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, if desired, and diced (I always omit this)
- fine-grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2-3 cups chopped kale leaves or baby spinach (I purchase the frozen leafy greens to add in)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups cooked wild rice blend or brown rice
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 1-2 handful corn tortilla chips, crushed
- Make the Tex-Mex Spice Blend: In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt, and coriander (if using). Set aside.
- Make the Casserole: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Oil a large (4 to 5 quart or liter) casserole dish.
- In a large wok, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, bell peppers, and jalapeño (if using) and sauté for 7 to 8 minutes, until softened. Season with salt and black pepper, if desired.
- Stir in the Tex-Mex Spice Blend, corn, diced tomatoes and their juices, tomato sauce, kale, beans, rice and ¼ cup of the shredded cheese. Sauté for a few minutes and season with more salt and black pepper, if desired.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish and smooth out the top. Sprinkle the crushed chips over the casserole mixture along with the remaining ¼ cup of cheese. Cover with a lid or foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Uncover the casserole dish and cook for 5 to 10 minutes more, until bubbly and slightly golden around the edges.
- Scoop the casserole into bowls and add your desired toppings.